AWS Fargate is a new compute engine for Amazon ECS that runs containers without requiring you to deploy or manage any underlying Amazon EC2 instances.
AWS Fargate is a serverless compute engine for containers that works with both Amazon Elastic Container Service (ECS) and Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS). Fargate makes it easy for you to focus on building your applications, removing the need to provision and manage servers. With Fargate, you can specify and pay for resources per application and improve security through application isolation.
AWS Fargate allocates the right amount of compute, eliminating the need to choose instances and scale cluster capacity. You only pay for the resources required to run your containers, so there is no over-provisioning and paying for additional servers. Fargate runs each task or pod in its own kernel providing the tasks and pods their own isolated compute environment. This enables your application to have workload isolation and improved security by design.
- Deploy and manage applications, not infrastructure. With Fargate, you can focus on building and operating your applications whether you are running it with ECS or EKS. You only interact with and pay for your containers, and you avoid the operational overhead of scaling, patching, securing, and managing servers. Fargate ensures that the infrastructure your containers run on is always up-to-date with the required patches.
- Right-sized resources with flexible pricing options. Fargate launches and scales the compute to closely match the resource requirements you specify for the container. With Fargate, there is no over-provisioning and paying for additional servers. You can also get Spot and Compute Savings Plan pricing options with Fargate just like with Amazon EC2 instances. Compared to On-Demand prices, Fargate Spot provides up to 70% discount for interrupt-tolerant applications, and Compute Savings Plan offers up to 50% discount on committed spend for persistent workloads.
- Secure isolation by design. Individual ECS tasks or EKS pods each run in their own dedicated kernel runtime environment and do not share CPU, memory, storage, or network resources with other tasks and pods. This ensures workload isolation and improved security for each task or pod.
- Rich observability of applications. With Fargate, you get out-of-box observability through built-in integrations with other AWS services including Amazon CloudWatch Container Insights. Fargate allows you to gather metrics and logs for monitoring your applications through an extensive selection of third party tools with open interfaces.
AWS Fargate is a serverless compute engine that makes it easy for you to focus on building your applications.
- Deploy and manage apps, not infrastructure
- Manage containers with Amazon ECS or EKS
- Pay-as-you-go pricing
- Rich observability of applications
- Right-size resources
- Secure isolation by design
For more information and help, visit AWS Knowledge Center.
Please contact us to help getting your account set up and running optimally.